5.22.2012

Our new home

In August, Justin, Molly and I moved from north Springfield to a house in my hometown, Ozark.  I teach at the high school here and Molly's school in in the downtown area. (maybe one of these days, I'll take you on a tour).

If you remember, (it's been so long), we put our house in Springfield on the market in late May (actually around this time).  It was on the market about 2 months and was bought by an older couple from Arizona in July.  We were Wisconsin on vacation with my family, at the airplane show in Oshkosh, when we got word that an offer had been made.  It was a few hundred less than what we had agreed our bottom line was, but since we had already bought our new house (and didn't want the stress of owning two) we took the deal.  We faxed the papers from a campground (funny huh) and in the middle of August said goodbye to the house we came home to the night we got married, and the house we brought Molly home to. I loved that house but not the location. 

I hate moving.  When I was younger, we moved a lot.  I wasn't an army brat but my dad's job was up in the air and eventually, we moved to Ozark...but I digress...anyways....I hate moving.  See the reasons below.

Exhibit A: this came out of the attic

We were able to find some hidden treasures though....Exhibit B
 Exhibit C: this bad boy has ridden around in my car for the past 10 months...kinda a good luck charm.  I keep meaning to take it to my classroom...but for some reason, I think it might be inappropriate.  LOL

Exhibit D: Hilarious...this will make a great gag gift when I figure out the right person to give it to.


 My grandparents helped pack the kitchen.....they are excellent packers. Thanks!

The New House: I found the new house on the interenet on a Monday night in July. I loved the pictures online and Justin called our realtor to go look at it. We went and looked at the house on Wednesday. At that point, it had been on the market for 4 days!


I loved it instantly. I felt like I had come home. It's 2600 sq. feet with 4 bedrooms, + a smaller room (the office), 3 1/2 baths, 2 living spaces, remodled kitchen and master bath, screened in porch, 3 car garage (2 cars + a workshops area), and 3.7 acres. It has ALMOST everything we were looking for, with the exception of a couple of things....1. split bedrooms 2. it is on propane and has a septic tank (EWWWW, btw)

We went and looked at it again on Thursday and put on offer in thinking of course, they would counter.....they didn't!!! The family was moving to Colorado and needed out of it. We closed on August 16, 2012 and for a couple of weeks, were the owners of two houses.

We moved in on August 20, 2012.

We did make some changes right off the bat...
1. We redid a couple of closets: the master and what will be the baby's room. Molly's closet was fine so we left it.
2. We painted our bedroom
3. We had to remove a tv mount from above the fireplace and repair the drywall (yea, they didn't want the 55 inch tv to fall) and painted.

I'm going to show you snipits because I plan on doing a home tour next week....I know, I'm back to blogging for reals yo.

Welcome home Floyd family.
 

I love our front door.  I've always wanted a red door.  Plus, the porch area makes it feel more homey. 

Formal living room: pre-bye, bye tv mount.

And after the fix.  Our carpenter is a great guy (the husband of my hair dresser who is also great).  He's also the one who out in our closets.  The mantel does not look like that now...but the updated look to come later.

Kitchen from the front door

Kitchen...I LOVE my kitchen....granite counters (which I'm not a huge fan of, but I'm not complaining), oak floors, stainless appliances. 

 Kitchen and eat-in dining: there is no formal dining (which we love). We never used it anyways. 

Laundry Room + the half bath: that bathroom needs to be redone.  But it's good right now as a mudroom.

Master bath shower...yea, I know, amazing.

 Our new master closet: I "designed" it. I knew what I wanted. 
 1. Dress space (far right) 2. basket space 3. double bars 4. Shoe racks

This is my side of the closet.

 My shoe racks. I love them!  I just need a wardrobe full of new shoes.  (My closet would look so much better if it was what I pinned on Pinterest)

Justin's side: He wanted 2 full double bars, a few shelves for t-shirts and sweaters and a space for his hamper. 

His side with all his stuff.  His hamper fits great.  I'm not exactly sure what he's got on the top of his side.  Nothing I suspect.  Time to change that I guess...

So, that's our house I guess.  Like I said, I'm going to do a tour next week.  I know these have been done in the past.  Here's MY plan....
Monday: Living Rooms
Tuesday: Master Bedrooms
Wednesday: Kids Bedrooms
Thursday: Bathrooms
Friday: What's left...

Oh it is fun to mention that the VERY first night we spent in our new house, we got toilet papered but a few of my students....scared Justin to death...I totally knew it was going to happen so it wasn't a big deal.  They got us pretty good though (although, they came a cleaned it up the next day)


It's also important to mention that one year ago today, Joplin, MO was hit with the EF-5 tornado that changed lives and mindsets in SW Missouri.  Although we've had other tornados and other weather since then, people will never forget May 22nd in this part of the coutry.  President Obama spoke last night at Joplin's graduation.  Say what you will about our President, we gave an amazing speech and I'm proud of him.  Joplin has a lot of growing to do.  There school system has made some changed this year (that they were forced to make of course) that others in the area (Ozark for one) are also making. Thoughts and prayers go out to Joplin and the family that lost loved ones one year ago today. 


God Bless!

Sara

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm so jealous of your closet!

Mallory said...

Beautiful house! Love it!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Related Posts with Thumbnails