Molly's Birth Story...Very LONG

Warning: This post contains words like cervix, dialation, episiotomy, ect. Do NOT continue if you are not comfortable with those kinds of words.

One week ago, on Feburary 16th (my dad's birthday), Justin and I welcomed our wonderful, perfect little Miss Molly.

Here's the story:

Tuesday morning, at 2:15ish, I was woken up out of a dead sleep with some contractions that I wasn't used to. I got up and went to the bathroom and that kinda helped so I went back to bed and back to sleep. 10 minutes later (I looked at the clock), I woke up with another one. I knew that it was normal to have some contractions for a while before actual labor started. I got up and moved to the couch and timed them for about an hour. They progressed from every 10 minutes to about every 7 minutes.

I woke Justin up at 3:15 (he was actually already awake) and told him I was getting in the shower. His reply was, "Why?" I told him I was having contractions and thought I was in labor. I got in the shower (where I had another contraction...it was strong and very distinct) After my shower, Justin and I timed them for about an hour. At 4:45ish, I had a couple of contractions that were 4ish minutes apart. Justin responded by saying, "I think it's time to go." We got in the car and started to make our way to Cox South. (about 30 minutes away). When we were pulling out of the garage, I remember thinking that it would probably be the last time that Justin and I left the house as expectant parents and entered into the world of parenthood.

We got to the hospital at 5:15 (18 degress outside) and I walked to Labor and Delivery. I had a contraction in the parking lot with Justin waiting in the cold. It was kinda funny. In L&D, they sent us to a triage room and I put on my hot hospital gown. The nurse hooked me up to the monitors and the blood pressure cuff (which seriously bruised my arm). She also checked me and I was 3 cm dialated and 100% effaced. This was a full cm more and 10% more than I was at my appt on Friday. She left for a little bit and came back and my blood pressure was a whopping 170 / 94. They kinda fraked about that and made me sit for another 10 minutes. At the end of that, she came back and said that I would be admitted and would be haivng a baby. I freaked out a little bit.

They moved us to our room and started my IV. I was having contractions about every 5 minutes still. They were managable but painful. They were doing 3 C-sections tht day so about 7:30 I decided to go ahead and asked for the epidural. The anestisologist (however you spell that) came in about 8:15 and got it going. It was PAINFUL!! I got a little queasy and sweaty. It was NEAT! After that, Dr. Graves (my OB) came in and broke my water. It was a little dark which means that Molly had a bowel movement. That is a sign of fetal distress so I think that along with the fact that I was beginning to not feel my legs...I had a little panic attack. My blood pressure dropped to 60/30 or something stupid like that. They started me on oxygen and gave me a booster of epinephren (spelling) to get my pressure back up. Molly got a little stressed too but in the end, everything turned out okay. That is until I started feeling my contractions again.

My epidural worked for about an hour and then I began feeling the pain on the left side of my bottom. It slowly started to move forward and then up to my belly. They were real contractions again. I knew that wasn't supposed to happen so I got the nurses in there and asked if I could have a "booster". They gave me two and the doctor came in the check on me. The boosters helped with the contractions but that's it.

At 11:50, the nurses checked me and I was 5 cm dialted and 100% effaced and at -1 station. She needed to be at station 2 before I started pushing. So for two hours people came and went. Justin and I hung out and watched ESPN. At 1:50, the nurses came in and checked me again and I was dialted to a 10!! But was still at station -1. They called Dr. Graves and she said that she wanted me to push a couple of times to see if I could push her down. So I started pushing. it hurt!! My epidural was not working on the left side. I could feel the pain. I could feel the pressure (which I know I'm supposed to) and I could feel the pulling.

At 2:10ish, Dr. Graves got there and things really started. I pushed and pushed. I was hurting and I yelled. My mom said that she could hear me outside. I also thought I couldn't do it. I yelled that too. Justin did a GREAT job!! He was reasuring and confident in me. He keep telling me that he could see her and that I could do it!! At 2:13 pm, I pushed her out and they laid her on my chest. She screamed and I cried. Justin was so proud of me and of us. At that point, I loved him more than I ever had. My life was complete in that moment.

I had to have an episitomy but she only had to snip about 2 cm. I'm not exactly sure how many stitches I had to have but...Oh by the way...I felt them but at that point I didn't care.

Molly was 6 pounds, 14 ounces and 19 inches long. She is beautiful!! I'm a very proud mommy.

It's been a week now. Molly went to her first appointment yesterday. Dr. Phillips was very pleased to see her. She was 7 lbs., 5 oz. She's gained her birth weight back. He said that they usually want to see them do that in 2 weeks. She's exceptional. She eats every 2-3 hours about 2 oz. She's not a very good burper but seems to be keeping things down. She's been rather fussy today however. I'm kinda nervous about tonight. I hope she sleeps. Since Justin has gone back to work (the last couple of nights) mom has been taking the first feeding (11:30ish) and then having me move to the couch. Molly has been sleeping in the living room so Justin could sleep. I get up with her around 2:00 am and then Justin gets up with her at 5:00ish. It's been working so far. My mom has been staying with us since we came home and Pam, Justin's mom is going to stay on Wednesday and Thursday. We are very blessed to have our wonderful mothers so close.

I haven't uploaded any pictures from the camera to the computer yet so I will need to do that later. Maybe I can get Justin to do that tonight. Thank for all for your thoughts and prayers. God Bless you all!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails